Fuel flow for shipping propulsion plant
SmartMeasurement™ has been a supplier of flow products to many ship yards throughout the world. This includes flowmeters and flow switches for a number of shipboard applications such as fuel flow measurement systems with the ALBRPD bi-rotor meter positive displacement flow meter for the propulsion plant. The ALBRPD provides an ideal solution for fuel flow monitoring due to the limited space available in a Ship. Positive displacement flow meter doesn’t require straight-run piping and therefore can work well after piping bends. Moreover, the high accuracy of 0.2% (also available with 0.1% accuracy) as well as its ability for bi-directional measurement makes it ideal for custody transfer applications where excess fuel is transferred back to the shipyard.
• The ALBRPD provides an ideal solution for fuel flow monitoring due to the limited space available in onboard vessels. The ALBRPD doesn’t require any straight runs.
• High accuracy of 0.2% or 0.1% of reading.
• Accessories such as filters (strainer), air/gas eliminators, flow computer, and batch controllers are available for a complete solution.
Large ships use Reverse Osmosis (R/O) systems for “all” shipboard water requirements. SmartMeasurement™ has been supplying the ALMAGWP electromagnetic flow meters used on both the supply and discharge sides of the R/O systems. The supply side flowmeters are suitable for use on seawater, thus, they are lined with PTFE, which provides long life against seawater’s corrosive nature. The flowmeters on the discharge can have the less expensive rubber liners and it can also measure the potable water. All flowmeters will supply simultaneous pulse and analog outputs that will be fed to the ship’s main control room. The measurement obtained from the supply and discharge flowmeters on the R/O plant enables the crew to determine the efficiency of the R/O system.
• The ALMAGWP electromagnetic flow meters have multiple uses during the reverse osmosis process for both inlet and outlet of the system.
• Various noncorrosive liners are available.
General flow meter requirements onboard ships
Large ships can contain thousands of meters of pipe work carrying various fluids such as water, waste water, cooling and heating liquids, fuel and oil. While the fuel flow measurement can be done with SmartMeasurement™’s ALBRPD positive displacement flow meter , water, wastewater and cooling/heating measurement can be done with SmartMeasurement™’s ALMAGWP, electromagnetic flow meters in some cases the permanent metering of lines becomes necessary once the ship has entered operation.
Often times regular spot measurements with portable units are required as part of maintenance and inspection work. Ship applications are characterized by the facts that measurement points are often difficult to access and pipes cannot be opened and flows not interrupted. Therefore, a non-invasive and non-intrusive flow measurement throughout the ship’s entire life time cycle from construction and commissioning to offshore operation and dockyard overhauls is needed.
In such cases the SmartMeasurement™ ALSONIC-DSPPL, portable ultrasonic flowmeters becomes the instrument of choice. The ALSONIC-DSPPL is the only portable ultrasonic flowmeter that can measure up to 30% bubbles and solids. Unlike other portable ultrasonic flow technologies the SmartMeasurement™ ALSONIC-DSPPL, portable ultrasonic flowmeters can measure any liquid be it fuel flow, wastewater or water flow. SmartMeasurement™ ALSONIC-DSPPL clamp-on ultrasonic flowmeters can be used on vessels of various types, functions and sizes. Vessels can be container ships, cruise liners, ferries, tankers, aircraft carriers or even luxury yachts. Other ALSONIC-DSPPL applications can be Inline flow meter performance verification, Inspection of fire extinguisher systems, Pump and valve testing and inspection, Leakage and blockage detection, etc.
• SmartMeasurement™ provides a one-stop shop for all flow requirements in marine applications. ALSONIC-DSPPL ultrasonic flowmeters for spot-checking any liquid flow, the ALMAGWP electromagnetic flow meters for wastewater and reverse osmosis processes and the ALBRPD positive displacement flow meter for fuel systems.
With each transaction involving large volumes of product and many millions of dollars, measurement accuracy is more significant in marine loading transfers than in any other application. Accuracy and reliability is required for Floating Production, Storage and Off-Loading. In FPSO metering systems, SmartMeasurement™ technologies has the experience and products to ensure operational integrity. SmartMeasurement™ ALBRPD bi-rotor meter positive displacement flow meter provides an ideal solution for FPSO metering. The ALBRPD positive displacement flow meter with its high accuracy and bi-directional measurement capabilities preforms an outstanding performance both in loading and unloading applications. Learn more About magnetic measurement
• The ALBRPD provides an ideal solution for Floating Production, Storage, and Off-Loading (FPSO) metering. The ALBRPD doesn’t require any straight runs.
• High accuracy of 0.2% or 0.1% of reading.
• Accessories such as filters (strainer), air/gas eliminators, flow computers, and batch controllers are available for complete solutions.
Ballast water treatment systems
Ballast water is used to stabilize vessels when not fully loaded. Water transfer from one port and released at another port which introduces non-indigenous organisms into fragile ecosystems. Untreated ballast water is now highly regulated and therefore vessels must install a ballast water treatment system. Traditional mechanical flowmeters are negatively affected by ballast water due to the presence of mussels, sand and other particles. This limits the lifespan of the meter and results in increased maintenance and replacement cost. SmartMeasurement™ has been supplying the ALMAGWP electromagnetic flow meters due its minimal pressure loss as well as its no moving parts to prevent constant replacement of the flowmeters in this application. A highly abrasion resistant sensor liner material makes the ALMAGWP ideal for this application.
• The ALMAGWP electromagnetic flow meters are an ideal choice for the marine ballast water treatment system.
• Highly abrasion-resistant sensors and liners are available with the ALMAGWP electromagnetic flow meters.